Well, I can't sleep. I completed a 12-hour shift today, and clearly something is on my mind that is preventing me from taking a deep slumber. Hate it! I recently decided to apply for jobs. Yes, a little delayed, I know. Today I got a voicemail left by a lady from one of the workplaces I had applied to. Yes, it should be taken as good news to any job seeker, but the voicemail was so vague that it had me worried. I guess not many potential employers would take the time to call each candidate to tell them how badly their resume and/or cover letter sucked. Yet, this is what went through my mind. If someone wanted to set up an interview time, would they not state so in the voicemail? I guess maybe not if they want to actually speak to the person. Anyways, this ambiguity has gotten me all nervous because I hadn't told anyone at my current job that I was seeking other employment, nor have I taken the time off to set aside time for potential interviews. This lady calls today and the only time I can call her is between 9 and 9:30, or during my break at 1-2. Either way, I have no idea of knowing whether this could be a potential phone interview (which I am in no way prepared for) or just a simple set-up-for-an-interview-time. I really want this job and am extremely nervous that even calling the employer back is stressing me out so much that I cannot sleep. It's about 2am and I worked 12-hours today. What the hell. I have seriously been out of the interview game for soooo long!
On another note, it's almost mid-February, the second month of 2011. I am happy to report that I am maintaining a healthy weight and have been going to the gym. Yes, there have been times where I fell off the wagon a few times (gym or eating), but I haven't fallen far enough to not get back on again! Woot! So that's a plus. On another note, I have opened a savings account to get all my savings in order. Though there's only about $50 bucks or so in it at the moment, it's a step to saving the big dough. So 2011 is all about saving. I'm not sure for what actually. It was suppose to go towards independence (aka moving out) or paying off my student debt. Still a toss-up. And those books I borrowed from the library... they're sitting in a corner... my bad!
I feel like I am finally moving in some sort of direction. For the past 8 months, I haven't been motivated to do anything. Particularly applying to "real" jobs. Everyone I know knew what they wanted to be. Knew what they wanted to do as a career. But for me during this time, it was utter confusion. I had finished school for some degree I didn't care much for. And the question was, "Now what?" Before I knew it, it turned into 8 months. About a week ago, I found out that Jacob was closing all its Josef stores. If you didn't know, Josef is the high-end boutique of Jacob. Anyways, Jacob is having financial problems and decided to axe all its Josef stores, leaving its employees stranded. Luckily, I wasn't part of the store per say, but a helper from another store. I can keep my position and just move back to the Jacob store. However, when I first got the news, I was heartbroken in a way that I didn't think I would be. Since working at Josef, I felt a part of the store more so than my old one. I liked working at Josef. I felt like changing stores was a good thing and I was learning a lot. But knowing I had to go back to Jacob, though I would keep my new position, would be like a step backwards in some way. Then finding out that the women I've been working with wouldn't be able to be relocated, I felt sorry for them. To find out that the store could be closed within a month (a month maximum but could be closed anytime before), and not have a job? For some of them, this was their main source of income. These women are some of the most hilarious and kind people I ever met in my life. Considering these women are like 40+, it was surprising how they were hilarious and kind. Anyways, it got me thinking to what I wanted to do with my life, which is recruiting. Recruiting for other organizations to find the right talent for their companies. These women made me realize how many people out there have the right skills but perhaps find themselves in a situation that leaves them jobless, or can't find a job with the way the market is going. I guess the real reason I wanted to do recruiting was help people find a solution. Maybe that's why I worked in retail for so long? Maybe I'm just crazy.
This could be another one of those "Oooh, let's pick a career of the day" moments where I never look back and choose another career a week later. But for some reason, this is the most thought I've put into something. And, I actually applied for jobs in this field! Which is surprising because I haven't really applied to anything before at all! Let's hope the dice fall on on the right number for this game of life!
No comments:
Post a Comment